[TowerTalk] RE: Yellow Jackets on To

Joe Brown joe.brown@gordmans.com
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 21:51:00 -0500

Carbeurator cleaner that shoots in a stream works great, they die instantly.

 -----Original Message-----
From: Robert Morris [mailto:rsmorris@worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 3:33 AM
To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Cc: BDT4
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RE: Yellow Jackets on Tower

I had a rather large nest of white face paper hornets in the top of a 32'
tower used for 6M.  The nest surrounded the mast and "belled" out down
toward the rotor plate..
When I shook one of the guys or rotated the antenna, 4 or 5 hornets would
swarm around.

Tonight, after dark my neighbor, KF4QQY and his son came over. We took 1/2
of a Telerex 40M element and taped a butane torch to it.
Took a spotlight to light up the top of the tower until the lit torch was in
place. The tank would rest on one of the guy wires and the element would
rest against the tower
We turned off the spotlight and backed up as the nest burned. We moved the
element around to get at some of the harder to reach areas.

I am happy to report, no stings,  and no more nest!!

My .02
Take care
73/Bob
W4MYA