[TowerTalk] Re: PL259 connectors

zl1aih@ihug.co.nz zl1aih@ihug.co.nz
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:44:27 +1300

K7GCO's methods have worked fine for me, even with poor
quality PL-259s - sometimes you have to use whatever's
available.
To make the job easier, (I use a 60 watt iron, large chisel bit),
quickly tin the braid before exposing the centre conductor.
With the standard measurements, cut through the tinned braid
and dielectric with a -new- tubing cutter, almost to the centre
conductor.
If you buy even a cheap tubing cutter, and use it only for coax
plug fitting, it will last a lifetime.
Twist off the cut braid and dielectric- if the conductor is solid,
either way is fine.
If it's stranded, twist with the lay of the strands.
This method allows the accurately faced cable end to seat
against the inside of the plug - no whiskers of braid, and a
guaranteed pre-tinned braid for the four holes.
K7GCO's caveat re foam applies - close -wind any loose
wound braid with fine bare copper wire, tin as before and then
use the tubing cutter.    If the foam bleeds through the wound
braid, cut the coax and start again.   Practice makes perfect.
Serious hams should not be using cable with loose wound
braid, but sometimes you have to use what's available.
73, Ken ZL1AIH

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----