[TowerTalk] RE: Crappy PL259's

WA9ALS - John wa9als@starband.net
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 06:50:33 -0500

> As an aside, in my opinion, the biggest pain about putting on PL259's on
> RG-8-like cables is getting the center conductor twisted tight enough to
fit
> inside the PL259 center oriface.  I, many times, end up twisting and
> scraping (with a wire-cutter/pliers) until it is tiny enough to fit.  Nuts
!
> Why can't they conform to each other better ?!

Been there.  Doesn't it help if you first remove a section of outer jacket
so that you have a length of exposed braid (no longer than necessary) WITH
OUTER JACKET STILL PRESENT ON BOTH ENDS?  Then when you tin, the braid will
be less likely to "swell up".  Of course, removing the jacket like that
without damaging the braid is a new challenge.

People have talked about filing etc.  Awhile back someone mentioned drilling
out the 4 holes so that they are a tiny bit larger.  That sounded like it
might help some also.

Seems like there are lots of ways to do this pesky activity.  Some seem to
have much more skill at it than others.  Some of that skill is sheer
experience, but I think some guys just plain have a talent for it more than
others, sorta like drawing pictures...

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----