[TowerTalk] RE: Crappy PL259's

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:41:19 -0400

> keep per unit pricing low.  I can generally use my Weller
> controlled-tip 30-watt solder station with these.  On the all nickel
> PL-259s, nothing but my "big-bertha" 250-watt Weller gun seems to
> work.

The key is always having a clean fresh surface to solder, preferably
freshly pre-tinned.

If you are worried about melting the dielectric, keep a wet sponge
handy and use a BIG iron or gun! Solder each hole then cool with a
wipe of the moist sponge.

If you want to tin the braid, lightly tin with the braid all the way out
to the very end BEFORE you cut the braid and center dielectric
back. Then you can deeply scribe or cut the braid by rolling it with
a sharp knife, and break the outer end off. To get a tight braid off
the end, heat the outer cut portion to solder melting and it will slide
right off. Then you can cut the center insulation off to the proper
length.

This is how we cut teflon and irradiated polyethylene cables in
manufacturing, although it also works with low temperature cables
if you are careful with heat and have a big enough heat source,
skill,  and a wet sponge.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,