[TowerTalk] Installing radials

Jimmy Miller JimMiller@STL-OnLine.Net
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:34:31 -0500

I am getting ready to put up my Butternut and put out radials at my new
location and didn't use radials before.  What is the theory about the ends
of "1/4" wave radials(high voltage point)?  I have seen sparks and
smoldering leaves at the ends of radials during contesting at our clubhouse
with a homebrew 4-1000 amp.

1)  Should they be insulated from ground and raised above earth enough not
to start a fire?

2)   Should they be staked to the ground with 10 inch nails of some other
kind of conductor (and what does this do to the resonance or receiving
capability of the antenna by shorting the high voltage back to earth ground,
seems counterproductive)?

3)   Should they be placed inside PVC or something to prevent the arcing to
earth and for safety purposes(or just keep the kids and dog in the house
while I am on the radio)?

Looking for answers that don't sound like reasons NOT to use radials.
73 and Thanks, de Jim KG0KP

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----