[TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???

Maurizio Panicara i4jmy@iol.it
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 20:37:52 +0200

... we can agree that space is a problem, but I'd take the issue from an
upside down perspective.
If one wants to buy miracles as small antennas with biggest performances
hiden in a back yard or inside an attic, then advertising is just there to
catch and let You spend (trow out) your money.
If one realizes that Ham radio is so much important in his lifestile then he
has to live accordingly, may be chosing an home that's farther from his
workplace or expensiver (something for something) , but that allows some
real space for real antennas.
Probably, the *wife* issue is also another important feature and an Ham
that's so found in his hobby shouldn't chose one and marry someone that will
bother him more than a neighbour, paranoid with TVI.
Someone could be not in the position to choose his home and then might think
to arrange another place for Ham purposes, may be tailoring his activity
with better antennas and short big efforts (contests) instead of  dealing
almost with little hopes with indoor wires.
I know of Hams that did change work to have time and a location for their
hobby
I knew an ham, I8QLI if my memory doesn't fail, that couldn't installa
antennas at home and took his car and ran up to an hill top mile away and
installed verticals, each time he had to try for a DXCC new one, no matter
if it was day or night, winter or summer.
Nothing is magic here and under a certain space available nothing can be
more than just an inefficient antenna on low bands, independently by its
high cost or very creative shape.
Unfortunately, crying or laughing won't change anything.
.... also here in Europe.

73,
Mauri I4JMY

> Try an industrial revolution era terraced house with front and rear yards
> measuring 15 x 15 ft each. Probably heavily developed by the XYL with
> concrete path, flower beds, a tiny pond  and a microscopic lawn. I have a
> retiree friend in Europe with such a situation and he is by no means
unique.
> I designed a squashed rectangular quad for 15 mtrs to fit into his attic
> space which is 12 x 10 ft and 8 ft high. It works quite well but he would
> sure like to get on 20m to work me occasionally. For some other bands he
> uses a covert 22 awg invisible end fed wire going across the street but
> without an RF ground system. This naturally has mediocre performance.
> Another caveat is that many such residences, especially in Europe, are
owned
> by the city and rented to the tenants and therefore can be subject to what
> are essentially deed restrictions.

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----