[TowerTalk] radial geometry

Wes Attaway wes@attawayinterests.com
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 17:56:00 -0500

I would run a wire along the length of your house (on the side by the
tower), and extend it around the corners of the house as far as possible.
Then, run a bunch of radials to the wire in a sort of fan pattern out from
the tower.  This is about all you can do, but it is better than nothing.  If
there is a way to snake a few radials across concrete walkways via expansion
joints, do that also.  The goal is to get the wire out there, any way you
can.

I am sure the lack of a perfect pattern has some detrimental effect, but the
addition of more wire will still help.  I doubt if even 10% of the folks on
160 have a "perfect" circular radial system.

Wes - N5WA

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-towertalk@contesting.com
[mailto:owner-towertalk@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Sylvan Katz
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 3:46 PM
To: towertalk
Subject: [TowerTalk] radial geometry

TTians

I am burying radials under the lawn so that I can feed the tower as a
vertical. The tower is a few feet West of the house. I can easily run 30-40'
radials from tower to the N, NE, E, SE and S but I can not run radials from
SW through to NW because of the house.

Questions:
How much does the radial geometry affect the radiation pattern?
Any suggestion how to deal with the radials that should be run where the
house lies (of other than moving the house or tower :-)?

tnx
.. sylvan