[TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Tower Installation Questions

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 12:30:12 -0600

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 Jon Ogden <jon.ogden@cain-forlaw.com> writes:

> It's a split level.  The edge of the roof is perhaps around 15 feet
> above the ground.
>
> > 	You need to have the guys as close to 120 degrees
> > 	apart as possible.
>
> OK.  That's what I figured.  So even though I will have shorter guy
> wires and steeper angles on them, that's OK.  Correct?

	Correct.  Since you are only going to 50 ft with
	a relatively small antenna load, steeper guys is
	*probably* not a problem.  (How steep will the
	angle be?  Anything over 30 degrees from the tower
	is not a problem. Evan at 10 degrees, the guy load is
	5.6 times the lateral load (300 lbs for 10 sq ft load
	at 30 psf wind force which is 86.6 MPH).  This is
	roughly 1600 lbs of guy tension, well under the
	4000 lb breaking strength of 3/16 inch EHS guys
	and well under the maximum vertical load rating
	for R25.       N4KG

> Well, we've done a couple and the darn things just don't want to fit
> together too well.  Diffculty lining them up, etc.  I am afraid that
> once I slip them together, they won't come apart very easily.  Any
> suggestions for making sections slide together more easily?
> WD-40 or some other  lubricant?

	Get a piece of 1 inch pipe.  That should fit loosely
	inside the legs of the R25.  Another piece of 1.25 inch
	pipe can be used for the swagged ends. (I have used
	a tower leg for this application). Lay the section on the
	ground. 	Have someone stand on	the tower legs and use
	the pipe to 'adjust' the position of the upper leg until a
	good fit is achieved.  Use some all weather grease on the
	swagged ends to facilitate assembly and later removal.

	N4KG

> > > 2.) Is there anything I can use as a substitute for a gin
> > pole or do  I need to find one to borrow or purchase?
> >
> > 	A gin pole is the SAFE way to proceed.
> > 	See Rohn, WB0W, or make your own.
>
> That's what I figured.  I've thought about making my own, but wonder
> if it's just better to invest in a good ready made one.  Anyone have
any
> links or> anything to plans for making your own?

	The Rohn gin poles are pretty expensive.
	WB0W gin poles are about half that.
	Home brewing is probably not a good idea
	if you don't understand the forces and risks.
	That would take more of an explanation than
	I want to type out.  Sorry.  Tom  N4KG