[TowerTalk] 2dB or not 2 be dB

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 12:14:08 EDT

 In a message dated 9/7/01 7:38:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time, 2@vc.net
 writes:<<
  > On HF/MF skywave, is a 58% increase in power out (2db) noticable at the
Rx
  end?
    My guess is that for moonbounce, 2db would make the difference between
  being heard or not.  However, in my double-blind test of 40m daytime
  skywave with normal QSB,, no one could see the difference on their
  S-meter. cheers
   R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.

 I would certainly agree with this in particular with a pulsating SSB signal
 on S meter swing and AVC action.  In AM days you could see 2 dB on the S
 meter on an A/B test.  It just occurred to me that 2 dB less gain of an
 antenna system used for moon bounce would be a 4 dB loss as it's also used
 for receive of transmitted signal from the same antenna.

 I think that a -2 dB will be seen the most in a contest of a lower
percentage
 intelligence and more repeats etc.

 There is another way to measure relative and small differences in antenna
 gain on a A/B test on SSB I've used since SSB came into use.  Turn the RF
 down and the audio gain up and do the A/B test.  You will be able to HEAR
 very small differences in audio level with a SSB signals as the audio level
 your ear hears can be controlled and the AVC is disabled.  Your ear has a
AVC
 level affect also I'm told.  Try it. You will be able to SEE very small
 differences in comparative signal strength by connecting a scope to the
 speaker output set for vertical deflection.

 There is another affect on the ear from excessive volume.  Guns can be fired
 so fast that it sounds like one shot.  Orvo Ajala could draw and double fire
 a Colt SA 45 sweeping his thumb and little finger across the hammer spur so
 fast "it sounded like one shot". He's the one who taught Jim Arness the fast
 draw.  On Gunsmoke he was the one in the opening action that had a shoot out
 with Matt Dillion. At the Worlds Fair in 65 Orvo had a stand here.  He would
 let you hold a cocked 45 on him with blanks and he would draw and fire
before
 you could just react and pull the trigger.  I beat him one time. His draw
and
 fire time was faster than many others reaction time. Rule of thumb--always
 draw first if you ever expect to draw again.

 At a fast draw contest in Vegas about then the winning time was .22 seconds
 from a signal light to fire.

 Your eyes don't cut off immediately when light shuts off either.  That's why
 moving pictures look like a continuous source of light.  k7gco

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----