[TowerTalk] Quad Element Tuning

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 8 Sep 2001 11:45:34 EDT

alsopb@gloryroad.net writes:

> Have you tried tuning the Force 12 coil/hairpin combo on their 40M
>  yagi antennas?  Equally a pain.

    Well, all you have to do is squeeze it in or stretch it out. Typically
you can reach it from the tower so it's not too bad but you're right.

>  IMHO potential quad owners need a tilt over tower, a HAZER tower or a
>  friend with a cherry picker.  Antenna planning always has to consider
>  getting the antenna up, tuned and repaired!

    When I worked at W6ISQ, he had a scaffolding installed that made nice and
easy. But you're right again.

>  Fortunately,  I realized that fact of life before trying to use a quad.

    Actually my first gain antenna was a 2L triband quad and K7WA and I spent
a whole Saturday screwing around with the tuning. That was it for quads. That
and the fact that I wanted to put a 40M yagi up too and couldn't do it with
the quad.

Cheers,     Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,