[TowerTalk] HR300 in Rohn 25?

tttt ccccc k3hx@juno.com
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 20:22:20 -0400

OM,

I had a HDR-300 mounted in a Rohn 25 tower.  Sorriest piece of  **** I
ever bought.

Replaced it with a TailTwister.

Nevertheless, should you go ahead with the HDR-300, the trick is to put
the rotor

in about 2 feet below where the tower top section tapering stops.  There
is a bit more

room where you can twist and fool with the thing.  Practice this on the
ground.  No

fun at 60', I promise you.  You may have to remove the mickey-mouse
plastic cover

for the lower part of the rotor.  Great fun putting in and tightening the
dozen or so

screws that hold it on once the rotor has been installed.

Hint:  The control unit on mine (vintage 1981) had tremendous RFI.  Cured
it by

wrapping the flat cable that goes to the display in aluminum foil.

Another hint:  There is a grey plastic "brake" that hangs down from the
bottom

of the unit.  It lives to slip off.  This causes the antennae to windmill
and you get

to replace all the lines as they snap off.  This drove me nuts and led me
to get

the TailTwister.  You may wish to "loctite" the setscrew in place and
perhaps send

another setscrew after the first.  Also, you may wish to grind a "flat"
on the lower

part of the shaft so the setscrew will have a place to go.

Yet another hint:  Put a plug-jack (from an automotive trailer for
example) assembly

up on the tower at the rotor.  You will find it helpful when the rotor
has to come down.

73

Tim K3HX

CW Elitist

QRP Snob (except on 160 where I'm a amp-running philistine..HI!)

Old Fart

20 WPM Extra