[TowerTalk] Paranoid vs. Overkill

David Jordan wa3gin@erols.com
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 15:17:22 -0400

Crank-ups do have guys...CT-100 TRIEX...3 sets, The 100ft tower boast 40sqft wind
load rating with 600lbs dead weight load...they have an option to increase dead
weight load by adding a second crank-up cable.

It's been my experience that folks that buy crank-ups intend to crank them down
when not in use and esp. during heavy weather conditions...also my experience has
been that folks that buy crank-ups and try to leave them up all the time end up
with problems...crank-ups are designed to be used frequently.

In either case wisdom comes with time and usually is expensive when it comes to
big towers.  The little 40ft crank-up whose cable carries the weight isn't much
to worry about but you better do your homework when you go higher and bigger!

HAVE FUN,
dave
wa3gin

-----------

K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/10/01 9:52:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> blueis@sprintmail.com writes:
>
> > My question is simple.  I live in a "70 mph" wind zone according to what I
> >  can determine.  Can I SAFELY use the 70 mph figure or should I build in
> >  additional capacity by purchasing a stronger tower?
>
>     I guess my question is, "Why wouldn't you use the value for your
> application?".
>
>     How are you going to purchase a 'stronger' tower? All the towers are
> basically the same in terms of construction and there is no other version for
> higher windspeeds. What happens is that guy wire sizes are increased plus the
> tower capacity is downrated for higher windspeeds. This is pretty obvious by
> looking at the Rohn catalog. Crank-ups don't have guys but they are
> definitely downrated as well.

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----