[TowerTalk] Wind and Paranoid vs. Overkill

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:38:58 EDT

In a message dated 9/11/01 5:06:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time, kq2m@mags.net
writes:

> Based on my experiences, I would tell anyone and everyone to make your
>  installations MUCH bigger and stronger than what your local wind zone
>  suggests.  Likewise, reinforce your antennas and double nut and double
clamp
>  everything.

    Good advice.

>  Here in extreme SW Connecticut, I believe the wind zone suggests something
>  like 70 mph.  (I don't recall).

    Actually if you're in Fairfield county (per my old CB info), the
windspeed rating is 85 MPH plus you've got a Note 2 condition: "County is
within 100 miles from hurricane oceanline. Tabulated values of basic wind
speed have been adjusted in accordance with ASCE 7-88 to obtain 50-year
recurrence intervals".  If you hadn't have done some over-building and
over-engineering, you might have had some real problems.

    The county windspeed ratings can be found at  <A
HREF="http://www.championradio.com">www.championradio.com</A> under Tech
Notes.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech