[TowerTalk] Need ideas for 80M "traps" or "coil"

Frank Norton KB8XU franknorton@home.com
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 01:35:29 -0400

Hello to all,

I was able to purchase a Spi-Ro D-162 dipole for less than the cost to buy
the wire, center insulator, and dog bones for hanging the14G
copperweld--local ham didn't realize what 205' looks like, hi hi.

The dipole is very well built except the traps for 80M are rated at only
600 watts.  My thought is to purchase or wind traps that would handle 1KW+
SWR fluctuations.  Weight and size seem the limiting factors here,
agree?  A coaxial wound traps/coils would probably weigh 8-10 lbs each
using RG 211.  Teflon might work, yes?  Others perhaps?

My hopes are to use the dipole in various configurations--full wave on 40
M--1/2 wave on 80M, Last but most important drooping ends to finish the
full length (perhaps 16' at each end or?  It will fit almost as a flat top
at 40-45 feet, I have to bend it slightly in the horizontal plane to access
support structures.

Any suggestions for coil or trap loading appreciated.

Tnx es 73 de Frank KB8XU

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----