[TowerTalk] small lots follow up.

Dan Evans n9rla@yahoo.com
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:04:34 -0700

Hi All,
As a follow up on the old antennas for small lots thread:

I finally got my 88' doublet up in the air.  I only managed to get the feed
point up about 40', so I'm not expecting stellar performance.  One leg of
the dipole is pretty much out flat, but the other droops down to about 25'
at the end.  This is fed with about 40' of 300 ohm twin lead, then it is
converted to coax for the last 15' into the shack and to the rig.

I was really surprised at the ability of my Icom 746 to find a match on
almost all HF bands!  Even 160 meters, believe it or not!  Although it will
probably be a big dummy load there:-)

The only disappointments were no match on 30 meters, or 6 meters.  But I can
live with that.  I have other antennas for 6, and will just skip 30 for now.

I haven't made many QSO's  on it yet, so I won't make any efficiency claims.
But it's up, and it's working, so it's a whole lot of dB's better than
nothing!

73
Dan

Dan Evans N9RLA
Scottsburg, IN 47170
{EM78}
IN-Ham list administrator
QRP-l #1269
1/2 of the N9RLA /R no budget Rover Team
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
http://www.qsl.net/n9rla