[TowerTalk] Capacitor resistive values

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 19:56:20 -0400

> What resistive value would an air-variable or vacuum variable
> capacitor have?

It depends on the capacitor. The more "bulky" or compact the
capacitor for a given insulation type the lower the loss will be.

The LAST thing we want is a long thin capacitor....like one made
from coax. The best thing is a sandwich of plates in parallel, like
chip capacitors.

 If the mechanical connections to or within the
> capacitor are eliminated what then?

Mechanical connections can be a problem, but they are often a
smaller part of the overall loss unless the capacitor is well-
designed.

 Dose the dielectric material or
> metals used to construct the capacitor determine this resistive value?

Yes, as well as the shape and size of the materials. The design is
complex because current distribution in the component greatly
affects loss.

> If there is a resistance being introduce into a circuit by the use of
> these types of capacitors what is its value?

ESR is Reactance/Q of the component. It varies widely. Vacuum
capacitors with very very low dielectric losses (only in the housing)
and concentric close-spaced rings of copper can have have Q's into
the 50,000 range or higher. So ESR (equivalent series resistance)
will be .02 ohms for a 1000 ohm reactance part.

Cube shaped air variables without wipers (butter-fly type with
welded plates) can have  Q~15,000 for an ESR of .067 ohms in a
1000 ohm reactance part.

Long conventional air variable capacitors typically have Q=2500 in
1000 ohm reactance parts, so ESR might be .4 ohms.

Coaxial capacitors or single plate capacitors would be Q~50 to 500
typically for an ESR of 2 to 20 ohms in the same reactance value.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----