[TowerTalk] homebrewing short yagis

Dan Evans n9rla@yahoo.com
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 13:24:57 -0700

Hello All,

I have an unusual antenna project in mind and could use some direction.

I'm planning to build a "short yagi" for 6 meters.  I've gone through my
limited collection of reference books, and haven't found much help.  I have
several editions of the Handbook, a fairly extensive QST collection, and a
94 edition of the ARRL Antenna Book.  I've been considering some of the
Antenna compendium series, is there a particular issue that discusses loaded
yagis?  I'm sure they are all great, but can't afford to buy the whole
series.

What I have in mind is a two or three element 6 meter yagi on a 6' boom.  I
want to keep the element lengths less than 6' overall.  At  6 meters, I
think this should still produce a reasonably efficient antenna.  I realize
that most people don't need to reduce the size of a 6 meter yagi, so I don't
expect to find "cook book" directions.

And while I'm at it, what do you guys think about loading methods?  Anyone
care to comment on loading coils versus linear loading?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan Evans N9RLA
Scottsburg, IN 47170
{EM78}
IN-Ham list administrator
QRP-l #1269
1/2 of the N9RLA /R no budget Rover Team
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
http://www.qsl.net/n9rla