[Towertalk] Tower base "solution"

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 23:44:57 -0500

Tucked away in many small corners of the specifications for bases and
such, are such quaint phrases as undisturbed earth, among others. All
of which make the right stuff not quite as "prefab-able" as one might
like.

As to hauling stuff in ready-poured, ready-hardened, ready-reinforced,
and ready-to-go, consider the base to my 80' Trylon self-standing
tower...

11 cubic yards of concrete with embedded base legs and what must have
been 300' of 3/4" rebar. The professional commercial building
foundation guy that my contractor son-in-law brought in to put it
together stated that the undisturbed hardpan (clay on its way to
becoming slate) around the bottom 2/3 of the hole would double or
triple the strength of the foundation against overturning. He
pronounced it non-overturnable in a tornado. Tornado might literally
rip the tower off the base, but the base not going anywhere, for
anybody, ever.

The foundation guy looked at the Trylon spec, decided it was "wimpy",
and ADDED a reinforced cantilever ring and pressure plate around the
top which would require a potential overturning moment to BOTH lift
the main concrete mass upward AND kick the bottom horizontally back
toward the overturning force (sideways into the hardpan). The
reinforced cantilever pressure plate was poured onto undisturbed earth
(actually the top of the hardpan), to disallow downward compression by
the cantilever and force the lift/sideways kick.

Haul THAT ready-made in on a truck.

Here's to constructing two or three times over spec, and sleeping at
night. Here's to engineers that can write specs that actually work.
Here's to doing at least what they say.

73, y'all.

Guy.