[Towertalk] 40 meter antenna results

Bruce Makas k1my@msn.com
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 17:16:57 -0800

Last week I asked for the reflectors recommendation for a 40 meter beam, if
the beam was to be the only 40 meter antenna and I wanted the best
performance and rock solid reliability. Once up it stays up.

Telrex       1 vote, also see next comment from another response

Telrex        but it must be rebuilt before you use it, in original design
it is junk, bad design, it breaks-pieces fall off, electrically it is a very
poor design and the balun doesn't work

**************

DX Engineering 3 element     1 vote

KLM 4 element         I have 1 in a box I can sell you

KLM  4 element        not recommended

Force 12 340N       2 element version

Force 12 340N       3 votes    delivery problems though (promises not kept)

Force 12     not recommended, loading wires break (I wonder, was this an
older design?)

M2 40M4L        2 votes
                           good mechanically in Michigan ice/wind
                           30% less expensive than Force 12 340N

Cushcraft 402CD    (XM240?)

Cushcraft     corrodes and pieces fall off in 2 to 3 years

HyGain       one vote

Mosley        1 vote

I also asked for a recommendation on a rotor:

Tailtwister            one vote ( used with Cushcraft 2 element)

Yaesu G2800      two votes

Orion 2800     one vote

Big Boy PST 61 from WX0B   one vote

Certainly not a consensus ................

Thanks for the inputs, Bruce K1MY