[Towertalk] Inquiry - Tower Collapse/Fall/Radius Zone

kelly johnson kellyjohnson@telocity.com
Tue, 09 Apr 2002 08:07:58 -0700 (PDT)

I've made this point many times to people, but
their prejudice against antennas just
wouldn't allow logic to control their thinking :-)
In my city, trees with a circumference > 56 inches
require a tree removal permit to remove them, but
no building permit is required to grow one.  This
includes the 150 foot redwood trees two doors down
from my house and the pine tree in my front yard
(with a circumference of probably 10 or 12 feet).
When was the last time anyone of you saw
an engineering study for a tree or saw a tree
certified to meet the Universal Building Code.  Towers
are certified by engineers to meet certain building
code standards, trees aren't, yet people worry more
about a tower than a tree.  It's definitely not
logical, it's emotional.  The city can line my street
with 50 foot telephone poles, yet they tell me that I
can't put up a tower greater than 12 feet :-)  Welcome
to America...land of the free...home of the brave.
Uhhhhhh, yeah, right.

"Dan Evans" wrote

> The annoying part of that is, every tree I've ever
seen fall, fell it's full
> height.  But no one is restricting the height of
trees.  So why towers?  And
> as you pointed out, I've seen some mighty big trees
go down while near by
> towers never budged.
>
> 73
> Dan
>
> Dan Evans N9RLA
> Scottsburg, IN 47170
> {EM78}
> IN-Ham list administrator
> QRP-l #1269
> 1/2 of the N9RLA /R no budget Rover Team
> Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
> http://www.qsl.net/n9rla

Collapse/Fall/Radius Zone