[Towertalk] Inquiry - Tower Collapse/Fall/Radius Zone

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:29:29 -0600

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002  "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <k2av@contesting.com> writes:

> One thing I do NOT see often in these collapse discussions, is
> discussion of the merits of self supporting towers in these tight
> situations.
> 			SNIP

> A self-supporting tower is made of much stronger stuff at the bottom
> than at the top, and apparently has a VERY different failure mode. I
> have heard only one failure story on a Trylon self-supporter. (LXC,
> any tales or stats on self-supporting?)

			SNIP

I saw an 80 ft Heights Aluminum Tower with KT34XA
laying in the side street 3 weeks after installation.
One of the tapered legs folded in on the base or
next to base section.  I have never understood
why Heights does NOT have a horizontal brace
on the TOP of each section, especially the ones
which taper in.

Contributing factors included some defective welds
and probable overloading of the tower based on
low wind speed ratings.  The owner was advised
against placing such a large antenna on this tower
but proceeded anyway.

Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.