[Towertalk] Yaesu Rotors -- Should I??

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:09:58 -0400

At 09:40 PM 4/12/02 -0700, AA6YQ wrote:
>Someone on this reflector asserted that Yaesu radically changed the
>controller design at some point, but I've not seen the schematic or
>implementatation and so can't comment on whether its an improvement.

Judging by the schematic in the new G-800SA manual, they totally changed
it, and reduced the part count by about 2/3, which has to be a step forward
in reliability.  It works differently now -- for example, the indicator no
longer drives around to full counter-clockwise when the rotor cable is
disconnected.  Instead, the overlap light comes on, regardless of the
actual position of the indicator.

The only bad things I can see is that they are now using one of those
darned Molex jacks on the back of the controller instead of something
sturdier, and that the non-preset controllers use a locking motor
switch.  It's awfully easy to press too hard, and have the antenna drive
around against the stop with the motor still running.  I've done this a
number of times, though, so the motor must be fairly able to handle the
resulting load.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at