[Towertalk] re: driving ground rods

Paul McInnish - K4BET k4bet@bellsouth.net
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 22:00:20 -0400

Steve... that is what I use also (see previous post) and if you go to the
'junque' yard, find a large round piece of rod stock, insert into the slide
hammer, make a couple metal wedges to hold it in & then you can use the
slide hammer to get the rod within a few inches of the ground... enough room
to slide the hammer and enough rod sticking out of ground to get a clamp
around and the rod end will not be "boogered" up by using the heavy hammer.

Paul - K4BET

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Rasmussen" <n0wy@alltel.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 9:51 PM
Subject: [Towertalk] re: driving ground rods

I've used one of those sliding hammers they use to drive metal fence
posts into the ground to start with.  When you get a lot closer to the
ground then a heavy hammer.

Steve N0WY

Message: 13
From: "n1nk" <n1nk@cox.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:58:12 -0400
Subject: [Towertalk] driving ground rods

I started driving the first of planned 6 8' ground rods in this
afternoon.
ouch.

also stopped by the local hardware store to see if they had or could
point
me to a sliding type drive device.