[Towertalk] ABC Home Owners Assoc Expose

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik@subich.com
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 14:57:59 -0400

Paul,

That's exactly the point ... when the HOA steps into areas that are
traditionally the province of government (e.g.. freedom of speech,
due process, regulation of interstate commerce, land use, zoning,
etc.) they become, de facto, governments and (should) be subject
to all the (constitutional and procedural) limitations that apply
to a government.

The courts ruled, and rightly so, than Caucasians only CC&Rs were
unconstitutional.  What is the difference between a CC&R that the
HOA could argue is consistent with freedom of association (certainly
the government does not have the right to tell me with whom I must
associate <G>) or protects due process (certainly the government
does not have the right to tell me to whom I must sell my property
<G>) and a CC&R that would restrict my free speech rights or ability
to engage in interstate/international commerce for which the federal
government has granted me a license?

> All the great protections you just mentioned and are constructed
> and framed within our Constitution are limits of GOVERNMENTAL
> power, not private power, such as that vested in homeowners
> associations (HOA).  This is a critically important point in
> U.S. Constitutional law: A private person or entity CANNOT
> commit an unconstitutional act except when acting on behalf of
> the government.

Since homeowner associations and CC&Rs are recognized by statute
does that not imply, at least in part, the vesting of governmental
power in the HOA?  For example, our board of directors has the
authority to post (and enforce) speed limits on the community
streets ... we have the authority to permit or ban the use of
motorized vehicles (e.g., golf carts) on the community streets
that are not permitted on public highways.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK