[Towertalk] IRStepper opinions wanted

Jim Lux jimlux@earthlink.net
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:55:03 -0700

The electrical concept is very attractive, the mechanical implementation might be an area of concern. Things that move (with precision) up in the wind and weather, etc. are always an area of concern. However, sufficiently rugged designs are clearly possible.  One thing to watch out for would be the fact that you have the highest current in the element right at the center, where all the mechanical stuff and wiper contacts are.  And, in general, the more gain the antenna has, the higher the currents from mutual coupling. Kraus discusses the loss impact of element currents in a closely spaced W8JK, and similar discussions in the ham literature (one of the antenna compendiums has an article by Brian Beezley that I'm thinking of).

Interestingly, another similar approach is putting computer controlled tuning networks in each element (that is, loading coil/capacitors in the middle).  There's nothing that says you can't make the elements "electrically" shorter or longer, instead of mechanically.  You'd have to watch losses in your networks, though.

What sort of reliability have people observed for other "actuator at the antenna" designs: screwdrivers and compact loops spring to mind.  Both of the latter are often operated close to the ground, and maintenance, cleaning, etc., are much more convenient, (as opposed to at the top of a tower).