[Towertalk] SOLDER TO ALUMINUM

Jim Lux jimlux@earthlink.net
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:31:31 -0700

There is solder made especially for aluminum, but the real secret is excluding oxygen during the process, a function performed by the "flux" in the alumnimum solder.  I have heard, but not tried, that you can solder aluminum using conventional soft solder if you cover it with a suitable oil while you solder. (something that doesn't break down at solder temperatures, that is).