[Towertalk] Hy-Gain balun question

ditzian@alltel.net ditzian@alltel.net
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 18:37:27 -0400

I have a TH6DXX that suddenly went bad. I found a problem with a
barrel connector and replaced it, while the coax seemed to be OK.
However, after using the coax for ten years, I decided to replace it
with a single run, and I have some Davis RF 9914F on order.

The BN-86 balun, however, is a question. I hate to butcher it to open
it, but it is in question. I put things back together with a new
barrel connector but the SWR is now higher than it used to be. It
could be that the tower is at 20 feet instead of 60 feet. It could be
that the old coax is at fault (I just ordered the 9914F), and it
could be that there is a balun problem.

(1)	Can the BN-86 voltage balun be replaced with a W2DU-style current-
choke balun?
(2)	Is there an advantage in using both?