[Towertalk] Buying nuts and bolts - Rationalized gouging

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:25:13 -0400

> It seems to me that a minimum charge and a per order handling charge
> basically address the same problem, which is that it costs the
> supplier virtually as much to handle a $5 order as one for $100.

The out-the-door cost to ship an empty "free" box, when we did a cost
analysis at Ameritron in the 80's, was over $4 in direct overhead
cost not including postage or shipping fees.

I'm amazed we complain about any vendor trying to cover those costs,
and just break even.

As for the price of parts? Anyone who sells anything to the
government is not allowed to sell the part for less to anyone else,
as was pointed out by others.

I can buy an equivalent part from Motorola NOT sold to the military
for about $15 less than a similar part that is sold to the military.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com