[Towertalk] rotor capacitor symptom?

FireBrick FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:04:26 -0500

Ham IV mounted at the base of a Wilson rotateable Tower.
Tower is just outside the wall of my basement shack.
So the cable to the rotor is maybe 12 feet, if that.

Rotor is controlled with a Sartek interface to my software.
This morning I used the Sartek interface to set the heading to 23 degrees.

Didn't notice that the control box needle didn't move till a few moments
later.

Walked outside and could hear the rotor humming but not turning.
Grasped in in my hands and turned it and it started, rotated to it's preset
and stopped.
The tower rotates VERY easily and smoothly by hand, there is no binding.
But we had strong gusty winds the past few days.

Subsequent attempts using the software worked properly. I can actually hear
the brake retract so it's not an issue of nonreleae.

This sounds like the capacitor may be going?
Can anyone confirm before I start pulling things apart.

When working toward the solution of a problem, it always helps if you know
the answer.

Bill H. in Chicagoland
w9ol@billnjudy.com