[Towertalk] silver solder ok for Ground wire to rod ?

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 06:45:07 -0400

> A direct or close lightning strike can VAPORIZE solder.
>
> The options are Cadweld or robust mechanical clamping. The latter must
> be periodically inspected.
>
> The solder is useless and can defeat a copper-to-copper clamping. The
> problem is not the conductivity of the solder, it is the melting
> point.

I've never seen a connection unsolder, even with pure lead-tin solder
but I suppose if nearly all of a big hit passed through a lead-tine
solder joint it could fail. I doubt it would happen in only one hit,
I suspect time and weather deterioration are the real problems.

Silver solder is actually pretty good, it has a very high melting
temperature (with higher % silver contents) and has good mechanical
strength even when exposed to the elements for a long time.

Personally, I would never worry about a silver solder connection.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com