[Towertalk] Cable Clamps and Phillystran

W0UN--John Brosnahan shr@ricc.net
Wed, 07 Aug 2002 20:23:39 -0500

At 07:19 PM 8/7/2002 -0500, Mark Beckwith wrote:

>My revered some-time mentor and sage John, W0UN said:

>The entire AA6TT installation was done professionally, which is one reason I
>have a high amount of credibility in it.  I am sure if they could have
>located the grips, they would have used the grips.  The zero failure-rate
>track-record is another reason I also take comfort.
>
>Yes, the squished ends were ugly, but they didn't fail or slip.
>
>Mark, N5OT

Hi, Mark!

I probably made a mistake by writing my note as a reply to your
note--giving the impression I was questioning you and/or Bill.

Just that there had been a number of comments on this thread
and it was while I was reading yours that I jumped in.

My real point (besides what I said) is that I don't know what
1/2" Philly is.   Philly doesn't spec their products in diameter
but rather in break strength--conveniently chosen to be the
same as EHS cable--so it is easy to cross the products
(something they did not do early on).

Not knowing the history or the real specs of the "1/2 inch" stuff I
am reluctant to recommend anything without factory approval.
I have not read up on the latest info on Philly--but from memory
I don't recall any guy grips designed for something called 1/2 inch
stuff.  So if there is nothing specific for the product and the
product pedigree is not known I would be reluctant to have
anyone (including ME) say what one should or should not use.

If Philly IS making a "1/2 inch" product and this stuff is new
enough to have the right jacket and if there is a guy grip
specifically made for it then by all means use it.   But if
no one can answer all of the above issues with the right
answer the safe thing is to contact the factory and do
what they say.   And it will most likely be to use potting
heads and Socketfast Blue.  But "1/2 inch" is more likely
a 3/8 inch kevlar core with a jacket OD that is about 1/2 inch.
Just scares me to see someone do something this important
without knowing for sure what the stuff really is.

My apologies for making it look like you had anything
to do with any questionable practices.   You just happened
to be standing in the wrong place when I decided to jump in.
And rather than make a tutorial (ie actually review and edit
what I say) I just decided to blast away immediately.

I still try to help Bill when I can (although I am less motivated
now that he is an east coast guy) and just answered some
questions he had a couple of days ago.

73--John   W0UN