[Towertalk] cable TV hardline

Steve Katz stevek@jmr.com
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 15:05:56 -0700

> Have had very good luck using long runs, 400 feet of
> 3/4" (maybe slightly less) hardline with 75/50 baluns at
> each end. been in the ground three years w/o problem.
> Wonder whether other towertalkians have had same
> experience.

	[Steve Katz]  I used 75 Ohm CATV hardline for years and years, back
in the 1970's.  The jacketed stuff is definitely "direct bury," although
under the jacket is aluminum which is fairly easily damaged, so just be
careful.  I don't even bother with 75:50 Ohm Ununs as this mismatch is
pretty much a "who cares" issue.  Aluminum clamp-type connectors, packed
with anti-oxide compound, work very well, although they can be expensive.  I
use the "good" connectors outside, topside, and homebrew ones indoors since
they stay dry and don't need to take any abuse.  A homebrew connector can be
made from a sawed PL259 and hose clamps! -WB2WIK/6