[Towertalk] Chassis Punches, Stepped Drills

Robin Midgett robin.midgett@vanderbilt.edu
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:28:49 -0500

Chassis punches are available from Home Depot and any electrical supply
house. Also, search using www.google.com, and I've seen them at ham fests,
they also appear from time to time on the For Sale-Swap reflector, Homebrew
reflector, and Amps reflector, all of which have searchable archives.

Depending on the thickness of your chassis, I'd recommend a UniBit stepped
drill instead of the chassis punch. It is much more versatile, less
expensive, and makes nice round holes from ~3/16" through 1" in various
steps, depending on which model you purchase. McMaster-Carr will have them,
grainger.com also, also at Lowe's & Home Depot. Get a can of tapping fluid
(cutting fluid, metal specific (steel, alum, etc.)) while you're at it to
make the stepped drill last longer.