[Towertalk] Burying Coax in Conduit Trench

Phil - KB9CRY kb9cry@attbi.com
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 03:28:01 -0500

If I may, here's what I recently did for my two towers (the first 60 ft
from shack and the second 60 more ft in line from the first). I use
CableXperts Low Loss 9913 direct burial coax.  It's designed to be in an
underground environment; others will work but will probably not last as
long.  Anything underground will be subjected to moisture, even if a
pipe is sealed.  Condensation is the problem there.  According to
CableXperts, one does not need to worry as much with rotator cable, as
all are the same and are essentially double jacketed.  I rented a Ditch
Witch trencher and ran a nominally 8 inch deep trench from the shack to
the tower bases.  Into this I laid weed preventive or landscape cloth.
 On top of that I inserted 4 inch pre-perforatted plastic drainage pipe
(real inexpensive) and then ran my cables (with plastic pull lines,
Greenlee electrical pull line which has pulling strength and is
rot-proof, from Home Depot) through that.  I then wrapped the weed cloth
over the top of the pipe and buried the whole mess.  The cloth should
help keep dirt out of the pipe, but any moisture will drain through.
 The ends just raise up at an angle out of the ground.  I then sliced a
plastic end cap part way and wrapped that around the ends, with flaps
for the cable to exit through.  I cable tied this to the pipe.  This is
to keep the varmits out.  Seems to work so far.  Phil  KB9CRY