[Towertalk] Roof Tower stuff.... 2 by 4s, city, :(

hdmc38@bellsouth.net hdmc38@bellsouth.net
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 11:24:05 -0500

Jason
    You will need drawings(2 copies)signed and sealed by an engineer.If the manufacturer can not provide these,then you would hanve to hire an engineer to provide them.If the drawings you have now show 2x6,then you may have to add some reinforcement to the truss.Again designed by the engineer to meet the wind loads and current codes of your city.Try to find someone local who has experience dealing with your local building dept.Some contractors may be able to point you in the right direction.Once the drawings are reviewed and approved yout permits will be issued and you can start on the installation.When you pick up the permits be sure to ask what inspections are required and who is the inspector that will perform them.Then speak with the inspector and ask what he will require for you inspections to be passed.Once all the inspections are complete and the final inspection signed off you will be issued a certificate of completion.This is important for you records,and may be needed in the future.I understand dealing with the building dept.can be a real pain,but it is an important step if you wish to do this correctly.Be patient and polite and the city should treat you the same.NOT ALWAYS!!!!! BUT!Good luck with your tower.Hope you get it up asap.Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

                   JOE PATRICK KG4VBR
                   CHIEF MECHANICAL INSP.
                   CITY OF BOYNTON BEACH,FL
                                    33425