[Towertalk] Lighting Protection and Roof Towers

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 00:05:33 -0600

N4KG comment and question below.

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002  Jon Ogden <na9d@speakeasy.net> writes:

	SNIP

> Realize too that one aspect of lightning protection is that lightning
> will generally hit objects that are the highest in the immediate area.

> A roof tower, may still be significantly lower than other items in your

> immediate area such as trees, etc.  YMMV, and it's not something
> you want to count on, but being lower than other objects around you
> does mitigate some risk.
>
>			SNIP
> Jon  NA9D

I have 7 towers, ranging in height from 40 ft to 140 ft.
To the best of my knowledge, I have NEVER taken a
direct lightning strike.

OTOH, I HAVE seen lightning hit the power transformer
in front of my next door neighbor's house, approximately
100 ft West of my 40 ft tower (with TH7 on top).

I have also seen where lightning split a medium size tree (50 ft?)
in the middle of the front yard across from my next door neighbor.
This tree was surrounded by a rectangle of trees surrounding the
2.5 acre lot.

And, I have seen lightning strike behind the house across the street,
apparently in a large cotton field.

So much for hitting the tallest objects around...

(Thank Goodness ! )

Any ideas why?

Tom  N4KG

Only $9.95 per month!