[Towertalk] Lighting Protection and Roof Towers

Jason Hissong jhisson1@columbus.rr.com
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:10:46 -0500

Tower progress continues... thought the comments from the engineer was
interesting.

In my packet of information to submit for my building permit, I drew up some
plans showing the grounding I plan to do.  The engineer looked at it and
said it was way overkill that the code only requires one ground rod.
(almost sounded like he was thinking I was wasting my money)  I thought that
was pretty amazing.

Also, I am getting some lucky breaks.  In order for me to get the permit, I
had to get a state certified engineer to look it over and place a certified
seal on it.  I sharpened my pencil and drafted (I have never drafted before)
the plans on the installation of the tower.  Scaled and everything!  The
first engineering firm stated that it would cost 400.00 for them to certify
it.  However, they recommended another engineer.  He looked the plan over,
stamped it, and asked for $75.00.  I asked him if he had concerns about the
installation and he said that if my roof could not hold this thing up, I
have more problems to worry about than the tower.  Also, he was more
concerned about leaking.

Anyways... I hope to get this thing up this weekend if the weather holds...

Thanks to the list... you guys are great!

Jason Hissong
N8XE