[Towertalk] A couple of book reviews

Wes Cosand wz7i@arrl.net
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 11:18:42 -0500

Wirebook IV, by our own Press Jones, N8UG

Press has brought out a new edition of his book on coax, antenna wire,
balanced line, grounding, and baluns.  It is worth reading.  One aspect
that makes it valuable is that it is quite opinionated, and the opinion is
informed by years of working in the field.  I found the discussion of coax
and antenna wire especially valuable, even provocative at times.  And then
there are his common sense tips that made you wonder why you didn't think
of that!

I would have liked to have seen somewhat more discussion of working with
hardline and of connectors for hardline and the larger LMR cables.  Much of
this is not very accessible to the ham community and may be rather
intimidating to many of us.

This is a purchase well worth the $12.  I bought it from Marshall Emm
at  http://www.morsex.com/books/  (that URL stands for Morse Express--
don't let your imagination get the best of you!) but I am certain Press
will sell it to you at http://www.thewireman.com/wirebook.html

DXing 101X by Rod Dinkins, AC6V

The eham web site has very few reviews of books.  But one very big hit
among the hams that frequent the site is AC6V's guide to DXing.  I ordered
a copy from HRO at http://www.hamradio.com/  (search on DX101).  This book
would make a great gift to the library of the fairly new ham.  It might be
a useful reference to the more experienced ham but you probably already
know much of this material (or at least have known it at one time and can
figure out where to go to jog your memory).  This is a valuable book, but
probably not for the readers of this reflector.

Wes, WZ7I