[Towertalk] Re: [3830] Quad's Do any stay up?

Leigh S. Jones kr6x@kr6x.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 10:03:42 -0800

Quads do have their fragile side, don't they.

In Florida you will face different dangers to your quad.  Ice storms
are much less frequent in Florida than in 2-land.  Ice loading is much
less of a danger in 4 land.

Florida sees more hurricanes than 2-land.  Hurricanes are a greater
danger in Florida.

Due to water temperature differences, humidity differences, and the
proximity of salt water to the average antenna, corrosion presents a
greater danger in Florida than in 2-land.

Due to more frequent mild winds, work-hardening of the quad element
wires and corner abrasion presents a greater danger in Florida.

In Florida a triband quad should be seen as a high-strung thoroughbred
of antenna -- more likely to break than a yagi but more likely to
crack a pile-up as well.  Florida does present challenges to the
lifespan of the traps of a tribander due to higher average corrosion
and salt build-up, and corrosion in Florida has been known to damage
towers and rotators as well.

My advice on quads is as follows:

1) Use the most heavy duty fiberglass that your manufacturer offers --
historically my preference is the heavy duty spreaders from Cubex.

2) The Cubex hubs are also pretty OK.

3) Use special high flexibility multistrand wire that is sometimes
available from quad manufacturers.  Don't get your quad wire at
Radioshack. Don't pass the wires through the fiberglass.  It sets up a
point where the wires rub and cut and work harden.  If you can aviod
it, don't even drill through the fiberglass.  Those wires are going to
have to survive a lot of flexing at the corners.

4) Don't expect to escape the first 5 years without doing repairs.
Plan for repairs.  Find the local sign crane company and find out what
their rates are, or perhaps build the quad some place where you'll be
able to reach each element hub from a 12 foot stepladder on level
footing.