[Towertalk] crank up "fit"

Dino Darling k6rix@arrl.net
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:16:16 -0800

First, never put ANY body part near the tower when going up and down!!!

One could argue that as you crank the tower up and it hits the STOPS near
the top that it removes any play out of the system as it binds.  This would
only work on the first two sections to hit the stops.  All the sections
would have to be PERFECT in order for all the stops to hit at the same
time.  This would also put a larger strain on the cabeling system.

In the real world, it does not matter where the tower is as far a "slop" goes.

I have removed many older towers that used to have small pieces of flat bar
(folded) that you could place just below each tower section in order to
remove the weight off the cables.  This required climbing the tower to
place the flat bar though.  I have noticed that there is "less play" when
using the flat bar as the section is not "hanging" by the cable.

One real scary tower used ONE CABLE through 5 sections.  As you cranked up
the tower, the first section would raise all the way to the stop and PULL
the second section up...and so on.  While bringing the tower down, if
anything bound, sections would move up and down on their own until the
weight was equalized!  The flat bar helped this problem a lot!

New towers with multiple cables don't have this problem.  It does make me
wonder if the transfer of weight from the flat bar to one of the cross
members on a new tower would damage that cross member at all.  It is now
carrying the weight of everything above it!

Dino...k6rix@arrl.net