[Towertalk] SteppIR and results

Jerry Keller k3bz@arrl.net
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 02:13:54 -0500

The cut-away SteppIR I saw didn't have wires inside.... the elements were
flat strips about .5" wide with regular holes punched every quarter inch or
so.  Those holes travel on a toothed gear which drives the elemnts in and
out, sliding inside the fiberglas tubular arms. Very nicely designed and
set-up, and I was told they have driven one through a million cycles or more
with zero failures.  I'm saving my shekels for one. Jerry K3BZ

-----Original Message-----
From: towertalk-admin@contesting.com
[mailto:towertalk-admin@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Rick Tavan
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2002 1:37 AM
To: Ragnar Otterstad
Cc: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Towertalk] SteppIR and results

It's a pretty new antenna. I think this is its first or second winter in
production use. My unit went up only this past September. It survived a
ferocious wind, snow and ice storm during the 10m contest that blew the
top 15' off a healthy 60' pine tree in my yard. I don't have an
anemometer but the winds were pretty wild. It drooped quite a bit when
coated with ice but sprang back fine when the ice melted. I'm on a small
ridge at about 6200 feet in the Tahoe Sierra with some sparse tree
shielding. I don't think MTBF data is useful for antennas which are
installed in wildly different environments.

There has been discussion of the beryllium issue on the SteppIR reflector

FluidMotion, the manufacturer, says the material is only toxic when
ground into a fine powder and inhaled. So don't breathe after grinding
up these wires. ;-)  I assembled and installed the antenna without ever
seeing the beryllium wires. They are wound up inside a rigid housing
until the antenna is assembled and its control line powered up. Then
they move inside the fiberglass poles that constitute the visible
"elements."

73,

/Rick N6XI

Ragnar Otterstad wrote:

>My only reservation with the SteppIR antenna is mechanical reliablility.
How
>long has it been in service and what is the MTBF roughly ?
>
>They are using BeCu material, which is very strong but also highly toxic.
Any