[Towertalk] Re: SteppIR Yagi Question

Rick Tavan tavan@tibco.com
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 19:58:58 -0800

Well, sort of. Aim the antenna at a station (direct path). Press the 180
Degree Reverse button. If you don't get a substantial reduction in
signal, something is probably wrong. On the other hand, if you do see a
reduction I don't think that proves everything is correct! This is a
vague test but it only takes a few seconds.

The antenna has a self-calibration function that you should use when in
doubt. When you tell it to calibrate, it sends enough pulses to each
element to fully retract it. Then you select a band segment and it
re-extends, theoretically to the correct dimensions. This will fix
temporary missettings such as I got once when we manhandled the antenna
into a new position on the mast without retracting it first. It won't
fix damaged elements or motors, of course.

There may be some other diagnostic stuff in there as well. I'm just one
dumb user. The FluidMotion guys are pretty clever, so you might just ask
them.

/Rick N6XI

Jerry Keller wrote:

>Does the SteppIR control system
>include any self-diagnostic capability, such that the user could detect (or
>be alerted to) a failure of one or more of its motors, gears, or deployment
>of its perforated strip elements?
>
>RLVZ@aol.com wrote:
>

>>If the SteppIR driven element motor does it's job and adjusts the driven
>>element length properly... but either the director or reflector motor
>>

>quits
>

>>and does not adjust it's length accordingly for the freq. you are on... do
>>you think the operator will know that the antenna has a problem... or will
>>

>it
>

>>continue to resonate properly and give a low SWR reading giving the
>>

>operator
>

>>the false idea that all elements are tuned for the frequency when actually
>>they may not be.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---