[Towertalk] Disassembling Al elements

ValErwin@aol.com ValErwin@aol.com
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 17:55:20 EST

Jeff:

If you just have to work on antennas during the cold winter,  following is
the method I have used successfully for several years:

1. Use a bench vise with smooth jaws so as not to tear up the AL.

2. Adjust the vise jaws such that the jaws are justa' little bit larger than
the SMALLEST diameter of Al tubing.

3, Slide the small diameter of Al tubing within the jaw vise with a great
degree of enthusiasm such that the edge of the jaw vise impacts the larger
diameter tubing. (Replicates a slide-hammer in function.) Typically, the
impact will knock/slide off the larger diameter tubing.  Depending on how far
the Al tubes are inserted into one another, it many take several "hits".

NOTE:  You may find in this step that you may also have to heat up the larger
diameter tubing just a little bit with a propane torch for real sticky'
situations. Once hot, another hit or two in the vise will do the trick! Don't
worry, the heat will heat up the outer tubing at a greater rate than the
inner tube, if the heat is applied cautiously back/forth.  You don't have to
get the tubing too hot for this to work. I use common leather work gloves to
handle the tubing to prevent burns.  (I only resort to heat when the
heat-less method fails!)

4. Before I reassemble the tubes, I clean them up with some "Simple Green".
If I detect any corrosive pitting of the Al mating services, I smooth out the
mating smaller diameter tubing with a very fine wire wheel (use protective
googles) and then recoat with a good quality conductive, anti-corrosion
surface compound designed for Al such as Thomas & Betts "Aluma-Shield".  The
T&B product is a mite' expensive and there are other cheaper products out
there. Suggest you check with Steve, K7LXC, as he may have something
available at Champion --

GL

Val
W5PUT