[Towertalk] WHY?!!!

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 00:27:56 -0500

1. This antenna is one of the all time classics.

Strictly speaking what you call the main radiator is really TWO items.
The radiation essentially gets done by the part of the piece which has
nothing parallel to it. What you call the stub, taken together with
the remainder of the long piece is a shorted open wire transmission
line.

The distance between the two has to do with the impedance of this
transmission line, which in turn allows a feedline tap position that
gives a match. Quite a range of different spacing/diameter/tap
combinations are possible. This design is chosen for the efficiency
and relative broadbandedness, and that obtainable from common plumbing
components.

A popular rollup version of this is made out of 300 ohm twin lead.
Just the thing for a traveling ham who wants to bring along an HT and
have an antenna with some efficiency as opposed to a rubber duckie. In
this case the bottom half being a shorted feedline would have been
obvious to you.

2. .33 would be a physical length of coax with .67 velocity factor
which in turn would be an electrical half wave. The other end of the
coax needs to be 180 degrees out of phase, hence the half wave which
does the inversion. If this is not done with .67 VF coax, the length
would be 0.5 x VF, whatever that turns out to be.

The isolation obtained in this balun is by not allowing the shield of
the coax to touch anything except dead center of the element and
having a coax center conductor fed tap on BOTH sides of the hairpin at
equal points. The taps on either side are 180 degrees out of phase,
hence the electrical half wave.

The taps each are at 100 ohms above dead center. Since they are out of
phase with each other, the tap to tap may be referred to as 200 ohms.

The left hand tap at 100 out of phase appears at the other end of the
coax as 100 in phase after the half wave, which also maintains the 100
ohms. The two 100's in phase, in parallel give you 50 ohms which
matches the feedline.

You COULD use a regular 4:1 balun, but why bother. This device is
inexpensive, more efficient, with superior isolation if carefully
constructed, and suffers from none of the power related malaise of the
beaded/torroid-wound versions. You also would have to find a VHF
version, since the core material used for HF is not suitable at this
frequency.

73, Guy