[Towertalk] heating antenna element tubing

Mark Beckwith mark@concertart.com
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 14:48:01 -0600

> I am not a metallurgist, but I would be careful about getting the tubing
too
> hot as you might weaken the alloy (others more knowledgeable in this
> area might want to comment).

I'll take some photos of some leftover scraps from my spectacular ice
failure last January.  I had one antenna on which all the elements of a
204BA were heliarc'd back in 1983 (at W6AQ).  This antenna lasted great for
years and years.  When I put it up at N5OT 18 years later and it got the
ice, it failed mostly at the welded joints.

In winds it was never a problem.

Mark, N5OT

MX to everyone who observes it.