[TowerTalk] W2DU Balun's?

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Tue, 05 Feb 2002 08:36:44 -0500

At 07:22 AM 2/5/02 -0500, Joe Reisert wrote:

>Rajiv,
>
>Yes, I too experienced all kinds of problems with some commercial W2DU
baluns.

>So, here is what I did to solve the problems. I use one of those center
>insulators, the HQ-1 available from Radio Works at the center of the
>antenna. Then I take a piece of RG-303 50 Ohm Teflon coax about 2 feet
>long, string on the right type and number of ferrite beads, and then hold
>the beads in place on the coax with a piece of heat shrink tubing. The heat
>shrink is probably not necessary but it makes sure they stay in place and
>don't get any problems with freezing and cracking in New England winters.
>Then I put connectors (I use UHF crimp types) on each end. It works like a
>charm.

I do the same.  At least at CW/SSB duty cycles, they have held up very well
at ~ 1300 watts on 80m.  I'm not 100 percent sure there's enough inductance
for 160 meters.  For those who don't want to have to gather up the bits and
pieces, The Wireman sells a kit with 15" of the coax, 50 #73 and 5 #43
beads, and instructions, for $10.75.  Budwig also makes a sturdy center
connector (model RF-1?) and lots of places have them for ~$7.50.  You'd
need to add your own connectors.

73, Pete N4ZR

Sometimes a tower is
just a tower