[TowerTalk] Universal Freestanding Tower

Bill Coleman aa4lr@arrl.net
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:45:26 -0500

On 2/6/02 9:10 PM, Steve Maki at steve@oakcom.com wrote:

>There is a big difference between "don't exceed the manufacturers
>ratings" and "buy one heavier than you need". The problem with
>aluminum is that it work hardens. If you load it near it's initial
>max ratings, wind gusts over the years WILL cause it to fatigue and
>de-rate, and eventually fail.

Gosh, you're right, that's why aluminum airplanes are life-rated to only
so many flights or years. Right?

I'm sure many aircraft owners are still waiting for their 50+ year old
airplanes to "work harden."

Without proper maintainence, any structure will fail, even steel ones.

Aluminum towers, properly loaded and properly maintained, should last
just as long as aluminum aircraft.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----