[TowerTalk] Tower hardware corrosion.

Stan or Patricia Griffiths w7ni@easystreet.com
Fri, 08 Feb 2002 14:42:05 -0800

Red wrote:

> An article about corrosion by Scott Roleson, KC7CJ, appears in the April
> 1993 QST.  It includes a table of the galvanic series showing aluminum
> is more anodic than iron or mild steel, which would cause the aluminum
> to corrode instead of iron if galvanic corrosion is the problem.  I have
> no information on the potential of the alloy from which Grade 5 or Grade
> 8 bolts are made or that of the 6063-T832 alloy from which the Universl
> Tower legs are made.
>
> The table of reduction potentials in the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of
> Science and Technology confirms that aluminum is more anodic than iron,
> but says nothing about alloys of steel or the many alloys of aluminum.
>
> 73 de WOØW

If you are using good galvanized bolts, then it is the galvanic reaction of
zinc and aluminum that is important, since those are the two metals that are
actually in contact with each other in the outside environment.  You will
find those two metals very close to each other on the table of galvanic
reactions meaning there should be very little galvanic action (corrosion)
taking place between them.

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com

Order online at http://store.eham.net.