[TowerTalk] Climbing Belt Recommendations

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Sat, 09 Feb 2002 23:32:15 -0500

At 07:50 PM 2/9/02 -0500, EUGENE  SMAR wrote:

>TT:
>
>     I've often wondered about the wisdom of having your safety harness AND
>climbing/positioning belt all in one apparatus.  If the harness fails, BOTH
>your safety lanyard and the positioning strap will let loose and down you
>go.
>
>     I have a separate belt and strap (by Buckingham) and climbing harness
>(Petzl) that I don separately .  I feel that if either one of these systems
>fails, I ought to have the other as a failsafe (assuming I'm tied in to the
>tower with both at the time.)

My Klein harness/belt is two separate systems, interconnected at the waist
belt.  The waist belt could function by itself with the positioning lanyard
should the full-body harness fail, and the fall-arrest lanyard attaches to
the harness, not the belt.

73, Pete N4ZR

Sometimes a tower is
just a tower