[TowerTalk] Cheap control cable

Bill Steffey ny9h@arrl.net
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 12:08:52 -0600

PVC jackets on cable outdoors, especially buried, is risky. I use alot of
it myself outside, including cat 3 and cat 5 200ft to the weather station
on the tower. Not a great practice.   A PVC jacket, when frozen, may
crack,  And the pvc will not hold up anywhere as well as a polyethylene
(PE). For inside fixed cabling  it's perfect.  Most good mike cables are
rubber, not a stiff pvc .  For you northerners, notice how the coil cord on
your mobile mike acts in winter, till your car warms.

bill